Donations – from overseas
Dear friends all over the world -Thank you to all of you who gave during the emergency period !!! As we move into the long recovery period – you help will also be needed again the fall and in next year.
Japan-based organizations need your monetary support for their relief efforts on the ground. I only refer people to sites and organizations that i have found to be reliable. I suggest giving directly to specific organizations that are already doing work on the ground to guarantee the money and goods go directly to relief efforts.
Please give to the one that matches your interests best. Unless you have medial or relief experience, at this point please give what you can and ask others in your workplace or social network to do the same.
* For all cash donations – please indicate your donation is for the Tohoku/Japan Tsunami/Earthquake
Second Harvest Japan is seeking food and supply donations in side Japan and cash donations from outside Japan. Funds will be used to get the items to people in northern Japan. For those who live outside Japan, please give monetary donations as this is more efficient than sending food and non-food resources from outside Japan. You can donate money here: http://www.2hj.org/index.php/get_involved/donate_money
Peace Boat Japan
Secure online donations from overseas can be made via our affiliate Peace Boat US, using credit card or paypal. (Peace Boat US is a registered 501(c) 3 nonprofit.)
Peace Winds Japan
Mercy Corps is the US partner for Peace Winds Japan; they worked together after hurricane Katrina in New Orleans. You can use your credit card to donate in US dollars and Mercy corps will get the funds to PWJ.
JEN (Japan Emergency NGOs)
JEN’s English online donation page is now up for our overseas friends to support a local NGO assisting the people in Tohoku. You can donate with your credit card from their English Homepage. (in Japanese Yen)
Association for Aid and Relief, Japan
Overseas Bank transfers:
Bank Name: Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Meguro Branch
Account Number: 1161451
Account Name: Association for Aid and Relief, JAPAN
Address: AAR, 5F, Mizuho Building, 2-12-2 Kamiosaki, Shinagawa-ku, Tokyo, 141-0021 Japan
Swift Code: BOTKJPJT
Bank Address: Meguro Build B2 3-1-1 Kamiosaki Sinagawa-ku Tokyo Japan
AMDA – formerly Association of Medical Doctors of Asia
To support AMDA’s activities, you can transfer your donation to the following bank account from outside Japan:
Bank Account name: AMDA
Address: Ifuku-cyou 3-31-1 Kita-ku Okayama-city, Japan
Name of Bank: The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ Ltd
Name of Branch:Okayama Ekimae Branch
Account No.:0040514 (for transfer in US Dollars only)
In order to keep track of donations, please email them with your full name, your address and the amount of your donation: email@example.com.
* Based on your questions some more information.
Why I suggest these groups:
1. Give Directly : you can give directly to groups that need the funds now (general disaster funds may not send the money out for weeks or months) They are already doing the work in the field! they need funds to sustain the relief efforts
2. Collaborated in the past in New Orleans and such partnerships are important to continue to support.
3. Experience in disaster and emergency relief both inside (Niigata EQ) and outside Japan (many locations)
4. Second Harvest has been working with people in need of food and basic necessities in Japan for years – they know what they are doing!
5. TRUST: I have known people at these organizations for years. These are friends who are experts and know the ins and outs of emergency relief and the adversities faced when working in the field.
6. EASY: It is easy for you to give in US Dollars or YEN!