Many things are needed in the hard hit areas — so time to spring into action you people who want to help!
Many resources are still needed. Orgs are now paying more attention to the people who are staying in their homes as well as those who have move into temp housing
Please do not send unsolicited items – call them directly with questions. Know soon what they need and where specifically you should send them.
Basic information about In-kind (goods) donations
* In Japan often only new or nearly new items will be taken. Towels, blankets etc. must be cleaned before sending.
* Some groups take clothing – new underwear, new socks and new shirts are high priorities.
* You will need to pay for transportation costs.
Second Harvest Japan is seeking food and supply donations for the people in the earth-quake-affected areas.
Please do not send expired food or opened packages. Please do not send any clothing! Please pay for shipping:
Send to all items to:
Second Harvest Japan Disaster Relief Food Drive
Mizuta bldg 1F
Asakusabashi 4-5-1, Taito-ku, Tokyo 111-0053
* Food & Beverage (MUST be unexpired): rice, canned items and retort-pouch food
* Packing gum tape (to seal the boxes for shipping out)
* Donated food and supplies will be used both inside and outside the disaster zone to reach those in need. http://www.2hj.org/index.php/news/send_us_food_and_supplies/
Peace Boat Japan is still collecting some basic items
Peace Boat is collecting many items as part of their Emergency Relief campaign for the Tohoku Kanto Earthquake
They can be brought directly or sent to the Tokyo Peace Boat centre: http://www.peaceboat.org/english/wtpb/map.html
Please contact the office first to confirm what is needed – this list changes regularly.
For further information contact Meri Joyce at the Peace Boat Office Tokyo. Email: meri(at)peaceboat.gr.jp
For providing meals: food and cooking condiments, plastic containers (for delivering food), briquette fuel
For clearing mud and debris: cleaning goods including large shovels, bamboo brooms, scourers, mops, waterproof jackets, rainboots, rubber gloves etc
Household and sanitary items: nappies, women’s sanitary items, toilet paper, soap, washing liquid, antiseptic solution etc.
Bicycles: for delivering relief goods, meals etc.
* Other items may also be accepted for donation, however please confirm with Peace Boat before sending.
Many places in Tohoku are still in need of in-kind donations