Sandy – a mega storm that recently hit those living in the Carib and NE Atlantic coastal areas of the US. You cna help them too.
On these sites and blogs you can find a lot of information of how to help those in need:
* useful local NYC info http://www.nyc.gov/html/om/html/2012b/pr392-12-static.html
* getting help in NJ http://nj211.org/hurricane.cfm
How to apply for assistance http://www.fema.gov/apply-assistance
For those of you in need in need of assistance: 1-800-621-FEMA or the mobile app http://m.fema.gov
SHELTERS – To find the nearest shelter visit app.redcross.org/nss-app
emergency volunteer hotline- call 1-800-537-7397 or 609-775-5236 and 908-303-0471.
to do manual labor - sign up at Interoccupy.net/occupysandynj/.
Other volunteer opportunities are available through volunteer site JerseyCares.com, which lists numerous locations across the state where volunteers are needed
The Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund has been established to raise funds and resources to help New Jersey families impacted by the devastation of the storm. Donations can be be online at www.SandyNJReliefFund.org or mail checks to Hurricane Sandy New Jersey Relief Fund, PO Box 95, Mendham NJ 07945-0095. For more information e-mail: email@example.com
volunteers - sign up online with New York Cares,
- The City is providing warm shelters. A list of locations is here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/
- Buses are running from 4:00 to 9:00 PM to take people to warm shelters if they cannot get their own their own. The bus pickups are listed here: http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/
- The City also has opened daytime-only warming centers at senior centers in every borough: http://www.nyc.gov/html/misc/html/
- Check out the CSSNY site from Nov 5 for more info on how you can help http://www.cssny.org/news/c/volunteer-mobilization
For people everywhere
To donate supplies, Feeding America is collecting food, water, and other goods to send to those in need after Sandy.
Newark’s Covenant House is caring for children evacuated from Atlantic City. It needs supplies (fuel, groceries, clothes, diapers) or donations. To assist, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
To help the pets affected by the hurricane, reach out the Humane Society which is raising funds for animal rescue
To help those outside the US:
more than 70 people have died in the Caribbean many in Haiti. Operation USA and the International Medical Corps are helping people affected by Sandy in Haiti and Cuba. Operation USA is also providing aid to the East Coast.
More info coming soon!